Montana DEQ List Still Holds Up
February 10, 2017 Leave a comment
Back in the early days of drinking water security, Montana DEQ’s Public Water & Subdivision Bureau compiled a “Top Ten List for All Water Systems” for security-related incidents. I came across a laminated wallet card earlier today that includes those action items. I think they’re still pretty relevant all these years later…even for cyber security! (See item 10).
- In case of an emergency – call “911” then use ERP
- Plan (update) & Prepare – Emergency Response Plan, NIMS command system, training courses, practice exercises, cross train staff, supply availability, employees’ families, alternate work sites, and post contact numbers
- Inspect facilities daily
- Make security & preparedness everyone’s job
- Limit & control access to facilities through identification
- Establish relationships with Emergency, Law & Health Officials
- Continue to assess threats & identify vulnerabilities
- Fence, lock, light, maintain, and secure all facilities
- Know, handle, and dispose of chemicals properly
- Use necessary computer software and access protection
Are your water systems doing all of the things listed here? If not, this is a great place to begin!